What does Rhinelander think of the Hodag?
In short, the Hodag is family.
The Hodag is the official symbol of Rhinelander, and the community will be forever connected with this legendary creature. In fact, when you’re driving into Rhinelander on Kemp Street, you can stop for a selfie with the giant Hodag who makes his home outside the Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce.
The Hodag is the mascot of Rhinelander High School, and every summer, the Hodag Country Festival draws thousands of music fans to Rhinelander.
Beer drinkers can even find the Hodag’s visage adorning ales at the Rhinelander Brewing Company’s tap room in downtown Rhinelander, as well as on bottles of Milwaukee-based Sprecher Brewing Company’s seasonal watermelon soda.
Wondering what else is named after the Hodag? Lots! Here are just a few examples:
- Hodag Park (on the shores of Boom Lake in downtown Rhinelander; home to Hodag Water Ski Shows in the summer)
- Hodag Dome (the largest air-supported high school dome in the nation)
- Hodag Sno Trails (Rhinelander’s snowmobiling club)
- The Hodag Store
- 97.3 Hodag Country (WHDG)
- Hodag Farmers Market
- Hodag Run For Your Life (5K/10K/half marathon hosted by YMCA of the Northwoods)
- …and many more!
Join our list
Sign up for our e-newsletter for travel tips, trip ideas & more