In short, the Hodag is family.
The Hodag is the official symbol of Rhinelander, and the community will be forever connected with this legendary creature. In fact, when you’re driving into Rhinelander on Kemp Street (aka Business Highway 8), you can stop for a selfie with the giant Hodag who makes his home outside the Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce.
The Hodag is the mascot of Rhinelander High School, and every summer, the Hodag Country Festival draws thousands of music fans to Rhinelander.
Beer drinkers can even find the Hodag’s visage adorning ales at the Rhinelander Brewing Company’s tap room in downtown Rhinelander, as well as on bottles of Milwaukee-based Sprecher Brewing Company’s seasonal watermelon soda.
Wondering what else is named after the Hodag? Lots! Here are just a few examples:
- Hodag Lake (a small public-access lake west of Rhinelander)
- Hodag Park (on the shores of Boom Lake in downtown Rhinelander; home to Hodag Water Ski Shows in the summer)
- Hodag Sno Trails (Rhinelander’s snowmobiling club)
- The Hodag Store
- 3 Hodag Country (WHDG)
- Hodag Farmers Market
- Hodag Run For Your Life (5K/10K/half marathon hosted by YMCA of the Northwoods)
- Hodag Lanes (bowling alley in Rhinelander)
- Hodag Pump & Pantry
- Hodag Property Management
- Hodag Honda
- Hodag BP
- …and many more!