Your guide to the Hodag Heritage Festival
Get ready to celebrate all things Hodag in Rhinelander this spring. The second annual Hodag Heritage Festival returns for a week of Hodag-themed fun on May 16-21, wrapping up with a fun communitywide bash on May 21. Here’s everything you need to know about this fun celebration.
What is the Hodag Heritage Festival?
The Hodag Heritage Festival—returning for its second year in 2022—is a celebration of everything Hodag, with a week full of fun events, contests, and activities.
When will the Hodag Heritage Festival take place?
The Hodag Heritage Festival will run from Monday, May 16, to Saturday, May 21, 2022.
What is the schedule of events?
There are several events on tap for the week of the Heritage Hodag Festival, including art contests, citywide scavenger hunts, a “Tour de Hodag” bike event, and special Hodag-themed food, drink, and retail items available in restaurants and stores throughout Rhinelander.
The big event of the week will take place at Pioneer Park Historical Complex on Saturday, May 21. This communitywide gathering will feature lots of fun events, including:
- A pancake breakfast (8 to 11am)
- A Hodag heritage ceremony (10am)
- A Hodag calling contest (noon)
- Historical bus tours (1pm, 2pm, 3pm)
- Live music from Hip Pocket (4pm)
The day will also feature special guest speakers:
- Chad Lewis, researcher on lore and Midwest mythology and author (“Lumberjack Creatures of the Northwoods”)
- Barnaby Jones, paranormal & cryptid research from Wisconsin Cryptids, Anomalies, and the Paranormal Society (WI CAPS)
- Kerry Bloedorn, Hodag researcher and director of Pioneer Park Historical Complex
Saturday’s event will also feature food vendors, Hodag-themed vendors, and activities and crafts for kids.
All events are free. For more information, visit the Rhinelander Area Chamber of Commerce website or call them at (715) 365-7464.
Where can I learn more about the Hodag?
We’re your one-stop shop for helpful information about Rhinelander’s most famous resident:
- What’s the Hodag?
- Discover statues, murals & more around Rhinelander with the Hodag Finder
- Sign up for the free Hodag Fan Club
- Play fun games in the Hodag’s Den
Where can I stay in Rhinelander?
If you’re headed to Hodag Country for any of the fun events associated with the Hodag Heritage Festival, the Rhinelander Area is home to a wide selection of lodging properties, from hotels and motels to cabins and cottages.
Note: The Rhinelander Area is open, and all visitors are welcome. Please travel safely and responsibly. Some businesses and events may have modified hours or procedures; please contact businesses or event organizers directly for specific information.